Seyi Akinwunmi, is one of the founding partners of Akinwunmi &Busari a leading corporate and commercial law firm. Seyi graduated from the University of Buckingham in 1983 with an LLB. He was called to the Nigerian bar in 1985 and received his LLM from the University of Lagos in 1999.
He is renowned as one of Nigeria’s foremost Secured Credit and Business Reconstruction Practitioners and has vast experience in litigation as well as negotiation and documentation of syndicated loans for joint ventures, project financing, e.t.c.
He has acted in this capacity to various State Governments, government agencies and international lending organizations, commercial banks, asset management companies, blue chip manufacturing companies, trustee companies, technological/telecoms companies, e.t.c.
Seyi is also a member of the International Bar Association, the Nigerian Bar Association, Insol International, Insol Africa Roundtable, Business Recovery and Insolvency Practitioners Association of Nigeria, Securities & Exchange Commission, Capital Market Committee, Intellectual Property Lawyers Association of Nigeria.
He has also written various articles on Securitization, Insolvency and Restructuring which includes the recently published 2011 edition of the Restructuring Review.
- LL.B (Buckingham) (1983)
- LL.M (Lagos) (1999)
- Called to the Nigerian Bar (1985)
- State Counsel in the Director of Public Prosecutions Department, Lagos
- State Ministry of Justice (1986 – 1987)
- Counsel in Ayanlaja & Adesanya, Legal Practitioners (1987 – 1989)
- Research Counsel in Russell Cooke Potter & Chapman, Solicitors (1990 – 1991)
- Counsel in Babalakin & Co, Legal Practitioners (1991 – 1993)
- Partner in AKINWUNMI & BUSARI, Legal Practitioners (1993 till date)
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL BODIES AND ASSOCIATIONS:
- Member, International Bar Association
- Chairman, Committee on Banking, Finance & Insolvency of the Section on Business Law – Nigerian Bar Association
- Past President, Fellow, Business Recovery and Insolvency Practitioners Association of Nigeria (BRIPAN)
- Member, Securities & Exchange Commission, Capital Market Committee
- Member, Intellectual Property Lawyers Association of Nigeria.
- Member, Insol International
- Member, Insol Africa Roundtable
- Representative of AKINWUNMI & BUSARI in the Commercial Law and Taxation Committee of the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry.